Wednesday, October 8, 2008

John McCain Is Not MY Friend

While Joe Biden and the Clintons have repeatedly subjected us to rapturous proclamations of their love for John McCain, my feelings for the man have evolved from tolerance to begrudging repect, and now, to flat-out disdain. In fact, the more I learn about this guy, the more I don't like him.

The article that really tipped me over the edge was sent to me by my friend, Ellen Enders. This expose in Rolling Stone magazine, entitled Make-Believe Maverick, retells McCain's biography from a (rare) unfiltered persepective, unclouded by the first principle that McCain is an American hero. It casts McCain as an impetuous, angry, and unprincipled brat, who believes that power and, ultimately, the Presidency is his birthright. And it presents a compelling lifelong history of incidents and personal accounts to evidence the point.

Yes, it is a long read and, at times, verges away from conventional journalistic objectivity. But, hey, the truth is often ugly.

No comments: